sacred dilemma

Most times, I can look at a photo and KNOW that the image was destined to be in either color or black and white. My general rule is that if the color is "saying something" then it is necessary to the image. If the sky is grey and the subject matter screams drama and colors aren't jumping off the screen, then black and white is the obvious solution. However, there are those times when I jump back and forth at the image in black and white AND in color and cannot for the life of me decide which is best. I took these pictures of my daughter today. It's a warm Sunday here in Torino. The mountains are in view, the sky is perfect and the humidity is letting in a breeze every now and then...the kind that you appreciate more than ever because of the heat. We don't have air conditioning and to be honest, since we have a cross-breeze, I am glad. I feel like we are a part of the outdoors and this, especially since we live on the 6th floor, makes me happy.

Anyhow, I saw this image in my mind because the light was pouring in, creating a subtle reflection off my kids' faces as they were playing in the living room. I told Keziah to take her shirt off and wrap herself in a curtain. She didn't want to. So I promised her Gelato.

I feel like these images say so much in BOTH color and black and white. The colors are soft and I like the softness and her eyes. The black and white ones are more dramatic...and well, I'm always a sucker for drama.

What do you think?


7 comments:

  1. The first one in black and white, the second one in color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like them both in color, but the second image i believe is stronger than the first. i like the fact that her body is peaking out from the curtain and not just her head.....and her headband is rad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I second your comment. I was thinking just the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are STUNNING images (and with a such a beautiful subject, how could they NOT be?!). :) I am in love with the second one and I *think* I prefer them both in color! Very sweet shots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color! And that's weird for me b/c I love black & white. Her skin tone against the white curtain and her perfectly highlighted hair are too perfect not to be in color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the pink tones of her cheeks and lips, i vote for color.

    ReplyDelete